» Community Guide
Global Community Team
» About » Global Community Team
Impact Stories
» Resources » Community Impact Stories

Southern Africa Telecenter Network

Information

Southern Africa Telecenter Network

The network of telecenters that brings up and shares information on development of ICTs in Southern Africa.

Members: 28
Latest Activity: May 22, 2013

Discussion Forum

The role of telecentres in agriculture market trade in rural Africa 6 Replies

Started by Dean Mulozi. Last reply by mwendabai sinyinda Dec 26, 2011.

Sustainability Of Telecentres In Southern Africa Fact Or Myth? 4 Replies

Started by Shuko Chawala Tembo. Last reply by James K Aug 8, 2009.

Comment Wall

Comment by Theo van der Weide on August 10, 2009 at 4:30pm
Dear Dean,
These research data, I would be very interested. Where can I find them, maybe you can help me?
Kind regards, Theo
Comment by Dr. Barbara Fedock on August 10, 2009 at 8:44pm
Dean,

Thank you so much. I have read the research data, but I wondered if there was any recent action research.

Thank you so much for your response.

Barbara
Comment by Dean Mulozi on August 14, 2009 at 9:58pm
Hi Barbara
I think you are right. Telecenters can equally play a role. But there must be capacity builders to enable telecenters maintain the growth required to provide services at initial stages. The institutional capacity will include among others training of managers and supervsors and provision of operational frameowork and guidelines.

I think that the role of existing national or country telecenter networks in each countgry can play that role. For example we are in the course of capacity buiding to support telecentrers grow from our point of view.

We need to organise ourselves to add on to existing resources and materials for telecenters. It could be good to start material production within the SATNET and respective national networks.

Your suggestion on the way foward?
Dean
Comment by Dr. Barbara Fedock on August 15, 2009 at 9:45am
Dean,

How could we survey existing national country or national telecenter networks to determine how we should organize to add on to the existing resources and materials for telecenters?

Do you think it would be beneficial if we surveyed each existing national or country telecenter network to create a profile of each one? We could then look for common threads, examine how each telecenter works, and analyze resources and materials. Or, has this already been done?

If the profiles were available, we could disaggregate the data to determine the resources and materials needed to further our efforts. Using the data, representatives from national and country telecenters could form a committee to examine the data and create sub-committees to make recommendations, set time lines, and monitor progress.

Do you think it would be helpful if all existing national or country telecenter networks were trained in the same capacity building program and taught a common format and common initiative to train managers and supervisors?

From my experiences in education, I have found productive initiatives ensure that all stakeholders share a common mission, build on the same framework, and operate on the same time line. I am not sure if this philosophy is an effective approach for our problem, but it is a systematic method that be helpful.

Barbara
Comment by Dean Mulozi on August 16, 2009 at 3:53am
Dear Barbara,
Your comments is actually very helpful. In fact some national telecenter networks have developed telecenter profiles. In Zambia, there is a one that we already completing but we have to include some information. Botswana will soon start theirs followed by Zimbabwe.
In the coming few months SATNET is to organise regional network forums and in that we are to include this on the Agenda. Some people from outside will be invited. We have planned to have the first one in early December and the participants will be from country networks. We will also invite participants such as yourselves to attend the telecenter forums.

Yes the methodology is important is very useful and it is going to work in having telecenter resource materials and guidelines. This is what is lacking among many telecenters.
We are to get updated on this as we approach the forum dates.

Let us continue to share ideas and strengthen the way forward.

Thanks

Dean
Comment by Dr. Barbara Fedock on August 17, 2009 at 6:56am
Dean,

I look forward to the invitation. I am also eager to read other postings in this forum from telecenter leaders who are willing to share ideas and practices. Perhaps the data from our colleagues will also help us determine the methodology that will be most useful the initiative.

As I read the comments, I will look for common threads and examine the issues. As an outsider, maybe I will be able to be helpful.

If we begin with a simple plan that will help us create a basic framework, at least we will have a starting point on which to begin our journey.

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to our work.

Barbara
Comment by Dean Mulozi on August 17, 2009 at 4:25pm
Thanks Barbara, this is very encouraging indeed.

Yes I think it is better to exchange ideas from other forums and see how we can perfect.

Will have some thoughts posted in the coming few days.

Thanks

Dean
Comment by Dean Mulozi on October 8, 2009 at 7:37pm
Hi all,
I am glad to inform SATNET is now registered as an International organisation in Zambia. I invite you to continue bringing up real and practical issues that affect and address our development challenges.

Thank you all for your valid contributions

Dean
Comment by Darlington Kahilu on December 30, 2009 at 3:40pm
As we strive to uplift the living standards of the people in our region through ICTs, I appeal to all of us to find solutions to the many problems our rural farmers are facing. Many a time those of us in the field of agricultural information dissemination often over look the importance of feedback to our audience. I will soon put a forward a discussion which I believe this family will help me find answers to. Happy 2010 to all.
Comment by Dean Mulozi on December 30, 2009 at 8:16pm
Hi Darlington,
I thank you for your contribution. It is true that we need to resolve issues related to farmers as regards to access to market information services.

As we continue to make our regional network grow, I believe that a lot of fruitful resolutionms are going to be identified through sharing of our expriences.

I thank you form joing the group,

Dean

Comment

You need to be a member of Southern Africa Telecenter Network to add comments!

Members (28)

CONNECT WITH US

Latest Activity

© 2014   Created by telecentre.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service