The telecentre.org Academy is a global initiative to provide telecentre managers with the skills and support they need to excel in their day-to-day work through training and professional development opportunities. Structured as a consortium of national academies and partners supported by a small global team, the Academy funds and coordinates training programs, promotes the development and sharing of resources, and maintains accreditation and certification standards.
Launched in 2008 with the opening of a national academy in Colombia, additional schools have been established in eight other countries –- Brazil, Chile, Egypt, India, the Philippines, Peru, Sri Lanka and Uganda –- with Malaysia soon to follow. These academies, founded in partnership with academic institutions, government, NGOs and the private sector, will train and certify 10,000 people by 2010. In addition, telecentre.org is developing an online global curriculum which will be used to train 1,000,000 people by 2015.
Globally, the telecentre.org Academy:
- Supports the development of open curricula and promotes the creation, coordination, and improvement of common resources.
- Facilitates events, networking, and knowledge sharing activities, including encouraging the community to contribute to a shared, multilingual repository based on UNESCO's Open Training Platform (including curricula, certification standards, models, best practices, experts’ list, etc.)
- Provides a web-based learning management system with over 30 modules in four languages (operational in Fall 2009).
- Develops partnerships to secure additional resources and support.
- Reaches out to governments and donors that support telecentres to help incorporate capacity building into their program design
At the national or regional level, each academy localizes materials, delivers training, and links managers to mentoring and coaching opportunities. The telecentre.org Academy is a participatory initiative. National academies determine the direction and activities of the global support unit.
How can you get involved?
- Everyone — Join the telecentreacademy.org community to get the latest news about the Academy, upcoming events and opportunities to share information that is helping to motivate and support one million telecentre knowledge workers in the making. Contribute training materials to the Open Training Platform. Or visit our online telecentre.org Academy group to learn more.
- National networks — Set up your own national academy. telecentre.org can help you establish a national-level training system for telecentre workers. Use, localize, or build on telecentre.org’s Curriculum Commons resources.
- Training organizations — Collaborate with national networks. Use a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license so that nonprofits and social enterprises can adapt and localize your training resources.
- Technology companies & donor organizations — Become Academy partners. Share your technical knowledge and expertise. Integrate training into your programs.