“For the past 60 years, our society has developed in many different areas to free the humanity from illness, warfare, poverty and ignorance. Despite such efforts, there are over a billion people in this world that are suffering from poverty and do not have the protection of their basic rights. The global polarization is becoming more intense, and unemployment level and economic development that does not promote employment is expanding. Poverty, conflicts, diseases and warfare have not completely been alleviated.” (LEE Tae-Joo, Chair of ODA Watch)
Since 2011, the Work Together Foundation has been promoting its Smile Together Partnership (STP), a project that supports the establishment of social enterprises and operational assistance in developing countries. Through the project, it has been working to alleviate poverty faced by children in various developing countries. In addition, STP attempts to support the creation of employment opportunities that respect the local culture while maintaining its sustainability.
Through social enterprises, STP strives to provide employment for parents so that their children can receive better care at home. It also supports social enterprises that provide employment and educational opportunities for youths who have to work, allowing them to take their first step in society.
By initiating STP, the Work Together Foundation hopes to create employment opportunities not only in South Korea, but also in various developing nations. We hope that our efforts can provide opportunities for impoverished children with stable care from their parents and appropriate education so that they can end their cycle of poverty and encourage them to grow as a respected member of society.
1. Prerequisites for establishing partnerships
1) Is it a social enterprise that is based in the local community and creates jobs for local people?
2) Is it a social enterprise that fosters local youth leadership with the exit strategy of supporting NGOs?
3) Is it a social enterprise with a sustainable business model that does not endanger local culture, community and environment?
2. Prospective participants of the partnership
Organizations that have the capacity to utilize a variety of resources such as local residents, community and the government can initiate a social enterprise and propose STP to the Work Together Foundation. Proposals to establish social enterprises and partnerships for reinforcing the operational system of the existing enterprise are encouraged.
3. Benefits from the partnership
1) Financial support (grants): $20,000 to $200,000 annually (Average annual grant amount per organization: $30,000)
2) Promotion of the social impact of the proposed social enterprise and management consulting for financial independence
3) Opportunities for enhancement of the capacities of the partnering organization
4) Connections to various resources according to the type of social enterprise
* Partnership will continue as long as the two parties agree to do so. Financial support may be granted for up to three years, depending on the annual evaluation of the enterprise.
Deadline for sending your applications is on July 31, 2012
For further details, kindly refer to the attachments below: