Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) have had a significant impact on the lives of people bringing them closer together, making differences less important and amplifying economic activity and growth. As a global best practice and vital agenda of many international organizations rapid improvement in development sector like health,education, governance and economic improvement is being organized through establishment of Telecentres which become the hub and coordination centre of the area to take forward such developments.
In recent years developing countries like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India etc have achieved tremendous progress in development sector through these telecentres and have been successful in involvement of common man in development efforts under an organized program. In Pakistan there have been few Isolated efforts to establish such telecentres due to lack of coordination between relevant Public & Private sector organizations and NGOs, there has been little success in coordinated approach in this regard. Rural Pakistan, where nearly 70% of the population lives, is yet to profit from these proven development strategies.
To make a coordinated effort in this regard, team of ICT professionals from public and private organizations, having on ground experiences in E-village project and International level experience in ICT4D joined hands together to establish Pakistan Telecentre Network (PTN) for creating a platform to organize and promote the existing efforts of telecentres by stakeholders in Public/Private organizations. It is obvious that, we can never achieve our targets in development sector unless all relevant stakeholders in Public & private sector organizations do not support each other in development efforts in rural areas. To achieve this target PTN has been established by a team of ICT professionals having national and International experience under E-village project. In the First meeting of founding members of PTN on 12th September, 2012, held in Islamabad, a large number of participants from relevant Federal and Provincial Government Departments, Private sector organizations and members of National and International NGOs and donor agencies participated and appreciated the as a critical need of the time. After introduction of concept by Mr Ammar Jaffri, Chief Coordinator E-Village Project, the participants appreciated the objectives of PTN and gave useful suggestions which would be incorporated in the final Charter of PTN. With inclusive approach this was decided to extend the concept to other stakeholders also for a broad based formation of PTN and also invite others to join the formation process of PTN.
The Vision & Mission and broad objectives of PTN are as under:-
VISION: The vision of PTN is to contribute in building sustainable progress and inclusive societies in Pakistan that secures human rights in processes of economic and social development through use of ICTs.
MISSION:PTN is committed to the attainment of the International and National Development Goals by working closely with business leaders, Govt, civil society and Pakistani living abroad to strengthen peace and sustainable development, by upholding respect for diversity, gender equality and human rights, and help to build sustainable, inclusive, and knowledge societies by pursuing our core competencies.
1) Promote the innovative use of ICTs to meet the social and economic needs of the most vulnerable
communities in Pakistan;
2) To bring coordination in all efforts made by Public and private sector organizations and NGOs;
3) To develop approaches to scale up successful applications;
4) Establish linkages with Global efforts and join best practices.
5) Empower civil society with affordable access to information, communication, and relevant local
1) Create awareness about usefulness of telecentres in public, private organizations and specially in
NGOs working in rural areas.
2) Promote knowledge of best sustainability models of telecentres.
3) Prepare and organize training programs for professionally starting, managing and sustainability of
Telecentres. ( Standardized courses would be designed and kept updates ).
4) Build synergies and promote Cooperation models between Public & Private sector organizations
and NGOs to work together in areas like health, education, economic empowerment and single
point of Government services in a telecentre.
5) Development and regular updating of education/information portals in local languages in areas of
education, health, agriculture, economic empowerment (livelihood) and good governance etc.
This information would also be available off-line ( on local machine ) in those areas where there is
no Internet or poor bandwidth.
7) Promote the interests of the telecentre movement throughout Pakistan and establish coordinated
linkages with International efforts of telecentres.
8) Strengthen the telecentre networks in Pakistan to develop, organize and disseminate knowledge;
9) Promote the exchange and sharing of resources, skills, competencies and knowledge between and among its members;
10) Build and promote partnerships with various sectors and development partners;
11) Collaborate with members on joint initiatives to increase the sustainability of telecentres and
their contribution to socio-economic development.
12) Focus on District level PTN coordination centre ( DCC ) for promoting close liaison within relevant
stake holders at District level.
As a way forward a core team has been constituted under the able guidance of Mr Noor-u-din Baqi the most experienced ICT professional in Pakistan with have half a decade experience of working at senior position in leading public & Private sector organizations dealing with ICTs. This team would recommend the legal infrastructure, SOPs & Procedures and Charter of Pakistan Telecentre Network for presentation and approval by general body of PTN.
Mean while Mr Ammar Jaffri Chief Coordinator E-Village Project would continue to organize meetings and seminars in different parts of Pakistan with the coordination of relevant stake holders to educate relevant stake holders in Public and private organizations to bring on board more members and organizations. Liaison with International organizations would also be established to bring global best practices for fast pace development in Health, education, economic empowerment and governance specially in rural areas of Pakistan. For any further coordination PTN requests to contact Mr Ammar Jaffri at Ammar@brain.net.pk or +92300-8551479
Click HERE to view the picture album from the event.